Budget Options for Everyday Bicycles

{This post is now a Page}

Comments

  1. You might also add Breezer, an American company that makes great commuter bikes with all the bells and whistles, at a wide range of prices. Breezer dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I have added Breezer. How interesting: I have not seen these in the US, but I do see them in Austria, which made me assume they are a European manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Breezers are hard to find in the US, even though they were designed by Joe Breezer. I ended up with a Redline R530 (no longer made, Torker T530 is the effectively the same bike).

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I recommend this steal of a steel bike (just wish it was a 3-spd internal).

    http://www.pakebikes.com/nunubatmobile.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Bowery Lane Bikes are a great budget option -- they're designed and fabricated in NYC.

    http://www.bowerylanebicycles.com/bicycles.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, great site. You might consider Dawes in the UK. They do a Heritage range. They would probably fit in your budget category. I don't know if you can get them in the USA. So far as I can tell, they are basically a modern hybrid, v brakes and stuff, but with optional hub gears, and retro looks. Link here:- http://www.dawescycles.com/c-35-heritage-bikes.aspx
    I was able to order one of these heavily discounted through my company awards scheme. But it hasn't arrived yet, so can't give any opinions, just the link.

    Thanks,
    Paul, UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a raleigh 3sp bike with luggage rack made in the UK,where do i look for my serial number

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand what you have against Chinese bikes. Bicycles are the mainstay of transportation in China and in much of Asia where China exports it's bikes. People in China use city bikes, many with step-through frames.

    Many things are cheaply made in China, but since the whole country seems to get around on Mao-era city bikes, I'd think they know how to make one that lasts for the money.

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/331019@N24/pool/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list -- these types of all-purpose transportation bikes often seem hard to find in the U.S., even though they are really what most people really need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Kona AfricaBike is another budget option. Purchasing one also contributes to a charitable cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your site! I was wondering if you realize that both Batavus, Azor and Gazelle import (at least most of) their frames from either Belgium or the Far East. That makes them effectively more like an assembly company than a real bicycle factory!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon 4:21 - I have heard conficting accounts of this and would like to see some concrete facts before I post a definitive statement here...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment